A couple of weekends ago, the community theater put on the musical "Annie". I loved this movie/play as a child. We had some free tickets and decided it would be fun to have a night out with Malik. I hired a babysitter for Elias and really talked up the play to Malik in the days leading up to it. He was excited to go.
Here's a lovely picture of the boys anticipating the start of the show-
The smile on Malik's face lasted about 2 minutes into the show. As it turns out, the cast did a superior job with their characters-especially Mrs. Hannigan, who was a bit too realistic for Malik with her yelling and pushing of the orphans. He actually made it through that part (I just smiled and said, "Oh, she's a silly lady...)
The third act was when Annie has escaped the orphanage and finds herself in the homeless community on the streets of New York. It got pretty dark, there was a red light casting a glow on the stage, and the music turned a bit ominous. At which point Malik began crying and I had to hustle him out of the auditorium.
The head usher was a very nice man who was completely distraught that Malik wasn't enjoying himself (to our credit, there were other children there his age who were doing just fine). The usher talked Malik into trying to sit in the balcony, thinking that it wouldn't be so loud up there. That lasted all of 3 minutes. Then the usher made the poor lady who was playing Mrs. Hannigan come out to meet Malik to explain that she was just pretending. Even after all of that, Malik said, "Let's go mom."
So...off to Dairy Queen we went. He was thrilled. I guess we could have just planned a night out for ice cream! Oh, well..maybe next time-
No comments:
Post a Comment