October was my month to be in charge of setting up the field trip for our little home school/preschool group. We had hoped to visit an apple orchard but as it turned out, there was a late frost last spring that apparently wiped out most of the apple crop in this area. No wonder apple cider is selling for $8.00 a gallon around here-good grief!
Plan B ended up being a trip out to the Lake Red Rock visitors center. Ranger Tracy was a great presenter (educational but also with a bit of sarcastic humor that the adults in the room were able to enjoy!) and the kids really had a good time.
Here we are meeting a black rat snake. Oh. My. Perhaps Greg should have been the adult presence for our children this day. I about crawled out of my skin. This snake spent the better part of 45 minutes curled around Ranger Tracy's arm while she was giving her presentation. She said she once was bitten by one of these snakes and it "just felt like velcro tearing off and I needed a band aid." I have no desire to experience that. Ever.
Here are some animals more my speed. Meet the turtles, Fred and Wilma. Yes, those really are their names. Here they are having a race across the visitor center. Wilma was the winner but in Fred's defense, he has an amputated back foot due to a very unfortunate lawn mower accident about 15 years ago.
Elias spent most of our time there chasing the turtles. And no, we do not want one for Christmas, just in case any grandparents were wondering.
I like Malik's 'thinking' pose here. It's as if he's thinking to himself, "This is all very interesting. But no way am I touching that thing." That's my boy!




No comments:
Post a Comment